Waterpark Attendant Job Descriptions
Reporting to the Assistant Manager Aquatics, the Waterpark Attendant is responsible for the direct supervision of the Waterslides and other areas throughout the water attractions at Wild Waterworks outdoor waterpark facility. The Waterpark Attendant is responsible for ensuring patron safety and enjoyment at Wild Waterworks through the promotion of facility rules and regulations, providing emergency response, and providing information regarding the available activities and facilities at Wild Waterworks and the Hamilton Conservation Authority.
Other duties include:
- Knowledge of and compliance with Hamilton Conservation Authority personnel policy, safety and emergency procedures, and safe working procedures.
- Knowledge, understanding, and ability to work with attention to relevant legislation including but not limited to Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Amusement Devices Act, Trespass to Property Act, Employment Standards Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and Human Rights Code.
- Active supervision of waterslides, compliance with duties as outlined by Waterslide Technical Dossiers, Amusement Devices Act, and Technical Standards and Safety Authority.
- Screen and educate patrons who wish to use the waterslides on safe use of the attraction. Enforce height, weight, and safety restrictions.
- Promote safety and prevent accidents by explaining and enforcing facility rules and regulations at all water attractions and within the facility grounds.
- Patrol the entrance of the wave action pool and river ride to enforce facility rules and regulations, and assist patrons when entering and exiting the attractions.
- Assist with emergencies within the facility and Confederation Beach Park, coordinate staff and patron actions as required, ensure the provision of first aid care, documentation, communication, transportation, crowd and traffic control, and emergency maintenance.
- Demonstrate and facilitate a positive and professional attitude towards duties, customers, and coworkers to create a cohesive team atmosphere with all departments
- Refer occurrences of a serious or criminal nature to a Supervisor, Manager, Security, and/or Police.
- Assist other departments as required.
- Assist with maintaining cleanliness of the water attractions and facility. Tasks include but are not limited to; cleaning waterslides, pool vacuuming, debris retrieval, cleaning washrooms, floors, sanitizing, and emptying garbage.
- Maintain the organization and cleanliness of the Administration Building, Supervisor office, Lifeguard Room, and First Aid Room.
- As part of the Hamilton Conservation Authority, you may be scheduled and asked to report to a different conservation area throughout the term of your employment to assist with special events, staffing shortages, etc.
- Any other duties as assigned to support the team effort at the HCA.
- Various physical abilities including but not limited to:
- Physical skills as required in the Lifesaving or First Aid certifications held, if any.
- Standing, walking, and sitting for up to 90 minutes continuously.
- Entering, exiting, reorienting, and standing in water with currents and undertows.
- Safely and efficiently travelling through water with large waves, currents, and undertows while supporting a victim.
- Jogging up to a 400m distance continuously while carrying first aid equipment up to 12kg.
- Climbing stairs and ramps while carrying first aid equipment up to 12kg.
- Remove victim from water, through lifting and/or carrying the victim with assistance.
- Submerge and retrieve victim from pool bottom, up to 1.1m depth, surface, and remove victim with assistance.
- Any combination of the above requirements performed consecutively
Education and experience you will need to have:
- Minimum 14 years of age
- Standard First Aid + CPR-C Certificate
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks with a high level of quality and consistency.
- Must be able to handle a high level of responsibility and respond effectively in high stress situations
- Communicate effectively, demonstrating good interpersonal skills when interacting with the public and fellow staff
- Must meet knowledge, judgement, fitness, and skill requirements of any held certifications and job duties
And even better if you have:
- Bronze Medallion, and Bronze Cross Certificates
- Lifesaving Society or Red Cross Instructor or Assistant Instructor Certificates
- Previous customer service, waterpark, or pool experience
You will be a great fit for this role if you have:
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, including heat and humidity
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Creativity, flexibility, and problem-solving capabilities
The work location will be at Wild Waterworks, 680 Van Wagners Beach Road, Hamilton, Ontario. Working hours will be an average of 35 hours per week. This position may be required to work in other Conservation Areas or on special projects for defined periods of time as directed by the Director of Conservation Area Services
To be considered for an interview, the candidate must meet the Province of Ontario’s definition of COVID-19 “fully vaccinated” or provide proof of Human Rights Code exemption in accordance with HCA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Interested applicants should email their resume to:
Attention: Wild Waterworks Manager
(please quote “ Waterpark Attendant” in subject line and send resume in MS word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.